What is the purpose of building a list?

I have a website that gets a good amount of traffic - 100,000 uniques per month and around 250,000 page views - and I’m looking to build a list. I currently have a sign-up box in my sidebar and after each post, but I only have 500 subscribers and don’t email them often. As an experiment, I’m offering an ebook for free when you sign up to my list. I’m concerned about the quality of data this will help to build, but I thought I’d give it a try.

My problem is - I don’t know what I’ll do with a list once I have it! I know I’m not allowed to put Amazon affiliate links in emails, but I guess I could create a page about a product and link to that from the email? What else could I do? I don’t have any other products to sell and all the rest of my revenue comes from Adsense. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments that would be useful?

Based on the information provided, it seems that you have been getting a decent amount of traffic to your website but have not focused much on building a mailing list. You currently have 500 subscribers and don’t know what to do with it. Offering your ebook for free as an incentive to sign up is a common strategy used by many website owners.

While you may have concerns about the quality of data obtained through this method, it is worth giving it a try since it can help grow your list. As for monetization options, since you are not allowed to include Amazon affiliate links in emails, one alternative is to create a dedicated page about a product and then include a link to that page in your emails. This can allow you to still promote products to your subscribers.

Considering you don’t have any other products to sell at the moment, and your revenue mainly comes from Adsense, you may need to explore other revenue streams. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Create and sell additional digital products: In addition to your current ebook, you can consider creating more valuable resources such as courses, guides, templates, or even personalized consulting services that cater to your target audience’s needs.

2. Sponsored content or partnerships: Once you have a larger email list and website traffic, you can explore opportunities for sponsored content or collaborations with brands that align with your website’s niche. This can provide an additional source of income.

3. Affiliate marketing: While Amazon affiliate links may not be allowed in emails, you can still consider incorporating affiliate marketing into your website content. Write reviews or recommend products/services that you genuinely believe in and earn a commission for sales made through your affiliate links.

4. Offer premium content or a membership program: Consider creating exclusive content that is available only to your email subscribers or offering a membership program with added benefits. This could be a way to generate recurring revenue.

Remember to always provide value to your subscribers and focus on building a relationship with them. Engage with your audience through regular email updates, offer valuable insights, and address their needs and interests. Building a loyal and engaged community will make it easier to monetize your website in the long run.

Based on the provided information, it seems that the person has a website with decent traffic but is struggling to leverage their email list of 500 subscribers. They have released an ebook, but it is not generating significant sales. To address this, they have decided to offer the ebook for free in exchange for sign-ups. However, they are unsure of how to utilize the list effectively, particularly because they are not allowed to include Amazon affiliate links in emails. They are seeking suggestions since their only source of revenue currently comes from Adsense.