Can I obtain CASL consent by emailing submissions from a "Contact Us" form?

!

Is it possible to send a mass email today (May 31, 2016) to the “leads” who filled out a contact form on the website after June 1, 2014 and ask for their consent? I’m looking to phrase the email something like “Hey, you gave us your email address at some point in the past couple years but now I need you to give me permission to email you”. Can anyone provide assistance on this? Thank you!

No, it is not possible to send a mass email today (May 31, 2016) to the “leads” who filled out a contact form on the website after June 1, 2014 and ask for their consent. According to Canadian laws, which are different from other countries, you need express consent from the individuals to send them commercial electronic messages. Express consent means that the person has clearly agreed (orally or in writing) to receive such messages. It is not time-limited, unless the recipient withdraws their consent. Therefore, if the contact form they filled out did not have a consent box and they did not explicitly agree to receive emails, you cannot send them a mass email asking for consent.

No, it is not possible to send a mass email today (May 31, 2016) to the “leads” who filled out a contact form on the website after June 1, 2014 and ask for their consent. According to Canadian laws, which are different from other countries, you need express consent from the individuals to send them commercial electronic messages. Express consent means that the person has clearly agreed (orally or in writing) to receive such messages. It is not time-limited, unless the recipient withdraws their consent. Therefore, if the contact form they filled out did not have a consent box and they did not explicitly agree to receive emails, you cannot send them a mass email asking for consent.